I used the Maidenwell 56 km as practice, not so much for running fitness, but fueling, pacing, packing and all that sort of stuff.
We drove via Toowoomba to pick up Jennelle's sister, Carol, and stayed at Nanango on Friday night. I slept well until midnight but the bed wasn't the best and I think I ate too much tucker. I don't usually eat any sugar and avoid too much carbs, so not sure about train -low- race- high protocol.
Anyway, up at 3 am. Had my usual Sunday long-run breakfast of three buckwheat crisps with avocado and vegemite topping, a cup of green tea followed by a cup of coffee. We had organised for a late check out, but the motel changed their minds and wanted us out at 10 am. So no shower or lay down before the drive home. It was a 512 km trip overall. Carol (Jennelle's sister) came back to Brissy to spend Easter with us.
The race was a learning experience. I don't know how to explain it. But I have run so many marathons and geared all my training for that distance that I unconsciously just tend to dig in around the 2hr to 2:20 mark. My lap times were 1:10:40; 1:05:25;1:05:08;1:06:45 for each 14km loop. The first loop was 200m further for the marathoners? So I wasn't too impressed with my last lap fall off. I was planning to run progressive laps. I put it down to getting a bit carried away between 35km and the full marathon which went by in 3:20 with 50km in 3:59:30.
The course was mainly on a well maintained dirt road. Slightly uphill overall on the way out, so I found I was coming home quicker and easier than when heading out. There was a section through a paddock that Digger had mown. But it was a lot like the Cross Country course where I hurt my back and lost near 6 months to that injury. So I was very cautious and, thankfully, had no problems. Some people complained but I thought it was just a part and parcel of an old-school, country marathon course. The only problem, if you could call it that, was I had to have a pit stop on the first lap. So too much roughage is not a good idea the night before. Live and learn.
The first lap I ran with, Kelly Potieger, who has run Comrades and is a South African. She was after a sub 3:40 qualifier and ran 3:35:55. She had such an efficient, compact style. It was classic and I felt like a real old gumby as I ran along beside her. I wasn't sure what pace to run and ran with her for a while but decided that I might be dragging her along past what was sensible for her goal. Of course, when I needed to have a pit stop...well, there is not a lot of bush to duck into out there and with a female following it was a bit worrisome. So I was so glad when I spotted the port-a-loo at the 10km refreshment stop. Nevertheless, when I told her why I was overtaking her again, she assured me that there was plenty of port-a-loos on the Comrades course. Always, a worry for me since the surgery.
The race was fine and I learnt a bit for Comrades. However, at the finish I had one of those: It seemed like a good idea at the time experiences.The fun part began about 20 m from the finish. You see I had an entourage of children come out to greet me as I finished my 56 km run. They ran along ringing cow bells and having great fun as they ran me into the finish. Me -being a big kid myself- hatched a plan in my head to make more fun.
Okay, so the plan was to jump across the line like the Easter Bunny. Well it worked in my head
Ron, I haven't checked in for a while... so much has been happening! That 200k week is truly amazing, running with Kelly - i met her on a run last year, great girl with a super chance to improve this year, assume she would have been good for you to talk to about the race. Getting closer now, hoping you don't overdo it. I've arrived there twice with cramps that i feel were caused by a combination of too much downhill running and flying to the race. Lots of cramp medications available at the expo, ask yourself why they're on sale before the race?
ReplyDeleteSo keen to see what an Aussie GM can do!
Thanks... I share your concern about overdoing it. My only source of advice is really Linsey Parry and Brad Brown's webinars. I have also run a few marathons. Parry is ultra careful with his advice and I listen and take on board his observations in relation to rest,recovery and tending to niggles. Still I am a bit of a risk taker when it comes to training. Helps to have a reminder. Appreciate your observation about not overdoing things. Duly noted.
DeleteYes..Kelly was a nice person but didn't really get a chance to talk Comrades, except briefly during the run. I listened in on Bruce Hargraves and a few others who have run Comrades and gleaned a bit of info. Kind of makes me worry I haven't done enough long, steady hills of about 8km. Anyway, I don't want to change things too much at this late stage. Thanks again, Ron.
Nobody goes out to Comrades and comes back saying it was easy and "just another race", it makes sense to our egos to talk it up 'big', surely it must be the worlds hardest race! I don't think so. Someone of your experience, talent and training will have no trouble (well you'll have trouble but you know what i mean) and in some ways the joy is in working it out for yourself - which you will do. The shear terror of it all is a great driving force though, you've noted a couple of times how you've run your longest weeks in years. This is part of the Comrades magic, it drives us to search for every piece of information we can find, it pushes us to new levels.
DeleteI first met Lindsey in 2007, I was talking to his dad (a triple gold i believe) at the end of the pasta party Trevor kindly asked Lindsey to drop me back at my city centre hotel - only a few blocks, but - first. They are so kind.
I really enjoy talking to Lindsey and have had several visits to his stand at the expo at both of my subsequent Comrades. I know he is running himself this year, but if you get a chance you should try to chat with Lindsey about your plans, he is very approachable and open. I was excited when I saw you'd be running this year Ron, but having seen your training in detail on Strava I am even more enthusiastic for you now...
Thanks for your post. Yes...it is a new experience for me but I am enjoying the challenge. It is scary, but getting stuck in a comfort zone scares me more... :)
Delete