Sunday, 22 January 2017

Looking Back Moving Forward.

Another hot and humid week.  Again i have just been putting miles in the bank and having fun.  On Saturday i decided to have a seriously flat run out at Nudgee.  Love running out along Jim Soorley Bikeway, which i call Jolly Soorelegs Bikeway on my Strava account.  Heee..hee..heee.

 Anyway, it is good ,sort of, that it wasn't my back that slowed me but my fitness.  I ran 10km in 42 minutes and then ran a solid 6km run where i just ran at a pace i think i can maintain for a at least two hours on fresh legs.   My heart rate was higher than i would expect and i put this down to the humidity and heat.  I also took a wrong turn on the way out to the course, which i have driven to a hundred or more times, and wasted about a half an hour (and a fair bit of mental energy reprimanding myself for being such a boofhead).

 I don't know if possible, but it would be good to get back to the shape i was in during May last year.  One can but try.  A lot depends on the cancer being kept in check and if my back holds up.  I ran a similar session back in May 2016 in preparation for Christchurch Marathon.   I ran 10k in 37:47 followed by two pace 4ks in 15:43 and 15;36.


Mind you, as an older runner, i don't think it a good idea to dwell on past performances unless it helps with future planning in some way.  Runners who have been running since way back can't lay claim to being " older yet faster" as some late starters often do, however, I guess long-term runners can, perhaps, lay claim to being  older but more efficient; more wiser; more experienced; more knowledgeble; we can, for sure,  lay claim to being more blessed for discovering the joy of running more earlier.

3 comments:

  1. Ron, This eMagazine from the timing company at Comrades just came, might be of interest:
    https://www.joomag.com/magazine/championtimes-2017/0598774001486134420
    cheers, alan

    ReplyDelete