Saturday, 14 January 2017

CLOSE TO THE TON & TESTING QUASIMODO.

This week was just more preparation and getting back on track.  I did introduce some trail 400s. (Quasimodo) to replace my Hillside Mona session..  I ran them solid, but was very careful because this is where I hurt my back this last time.  Anyway, I survived, and my back handled the session.  The other bugbear for running this week has been the heat and humidity. 

This week I also learnt that the Orange Marathon isn't going to be certified (supposedly because of road works).  I only found out when I checked back on the CoolRunning forum.  It seems to me that in Australia there are more road blocks than assistance for runners trying to achieve their goals however humble.  I am on their email list as an entrant but I incidentally found out when visiting a forum that I hardly ever visit.  So I guess I will just have to stick to my plan (Run Australia Day Marathon out at Mansfield for initial qualifier and then try for a better start zone at Orange Marathon) and hope the Comrades officialdom accept my times.  If not, I will run Canberra Marathon or perhaps the 50km. 




3 comments:

  1. I wonder how much checking is done. This statement is on their web site:
    Must International runners also qualify to enter the Comrades Marathon?
    Every runner is required to run an official marathon within the qualifying times.

    Is Orange an 'official marathon' ? probably.
    You could always write to the admin and ask if Orange will be OK by them...
    cheers, alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan. I'll just submit my time and if they reject it i'll run Canberra. Bruce Hargraves said that international runners just have to run a "marathon" that is within one or two kilometres of the official distance. Not sure if that applies as far as from which start area one can line up in. I am certainly going, all things going well, to make sure I get in. Flights and everything for SA are booked. . I had already paid for flights and accommodation for Orange before I found out that Orange wasn't going to be certified, so may as well have a run.

      Delete
  2. My sense is you'll be fine. A shame to exhaust ourselves to achieve a spot 40 metres further forward.
    Another technique - i once got into my pen at the front of B an hour before, sat on a cushion. When the separation dropped on pen A before the gun i dashed forward, when the gun went i was only 4 bodies from the start line. What an experience to be in that washing machine...

    ReplyDelete