First week done. I have been checking out a few trails with long climbs and working out some sessions that will, hopefully, help prepare me for Comrades. So more hills. I will however ease off the hills after a while and revert to my old routine. I will do more hills than I would usually do for a marathon though as I am not seeking a fast time just a qualifier. I'll keep my expectations in line with my fitness and conditioning. My back is still really bothersome. I was having a hang on my inversion table tonight and I heard (and felt) a very loud crack from my thoracic region. It didn't really hurt but I am worried about how it will be tomorrow. My wife heard it from the kitchen which is about five metres away. My back is still a bother. From past experience it could take while. I suppose all I can do is do what I can (within reason) . Anyway, I have had a good week in all logging up 118 km, albeit slow.
My son, Jonathan, ran a 3:10 - 50k at the http://www.goldcoast50.com/ . It was just a solid training run for him n but good enough to take first place. Darryl Hill was second and (in his first 50km race) and ultra-runner Francesco Ciancio came 3rd. Of course, Jonny rolled me again. I have run one 50km. It was a last hit out for Canberra in 1993. The course was 1.2km loop out at USQ in Toowoomba. I didn't taper and ended up with 185 km for the week. Anyway, I ran 3:16 at the age of 39.
John Shaw ran a pretty good time considering the conditions. He broke Ron Schwebel's Australian M60 record of 3:52:11 by 12 minutes. So 3:40 is the new record. He had a bit of coverage on national television and the main gist was how he got off the couch and into life (and therefore most people can do so) . Great story from both the competitive and health aspect. The thing I didn't like was Channel Seven showed John finishing, and he didn't look as smooth as when he is fresh and moving like a youngster. The world record M60 is 3:2951 set by Erwin Remmele in 1991. That time is within his reach.
The other thing of note, for me, was David Sweeney winning the 5000m; 8000m Cross; 10000m; 21:1k (and a few teams medals I think) at the world Masters in Perth. Bling. John Shaw also won the M60 World Marathon Championship.
So next week I am going to just consolidate with less emphasis on hills.
Ronnie.
Hi Ron. Enjoying a read of your blog. Have started from the beginning. Thanks for the wrap. Saw Jon near the hilly half way mark.I was climbing up - he was already coming back down. He was so in control and way ahead of everyone. That bit where Channel 7 showed me finishing was staged. I was totally wasted after that 50km race and was shuffling around when out of the blue I got a call from the organisers saying Channel 7 wanted to do a story. Part of it was that finish line bit. I was in a lot of pain as my legs had shut down completely. They had me do the finish line bit twice and it was extremely painful from the first step. I did cramp up on the first take. When I saw the end result the next morning I winced as; like you too noticed; I looked in a bad way and was running more like a 90yo. I was definitely not a great advert for older runners.
ReplyDelete