Saturday, 3 December 2016

Comrades Journey: First steps.

I regard Comrades as the pinnacle of long-distance running.  I first read about Comrades in the British running magazine "Marathon (and distance) Runner."  I read with disbelief the exploits of Bruce Fordyce. I recall many years ago sitting in front of my computer and trying to see how a fellow Ashgrove Ranger,  Don Wallace, was going.  The link kept dropping out but the gods were kind for a brief minute or so because I did get to see Don run in to claim a seventh place and a Gold.  I actually had tears in my eyes I was so inspired.  Of course, these days there is an abundance of youtube videos that show the greatness of this event and the character of the entrants and competitors.. The thought of running Comrades has always been in the back of my mind.  But it is a scary thought.  So much to lose so much to gain.  A classic risk vs reward situation. The chance of finishing in tact gets lesser as the years roll on.  Since June this year I have been struggling with a back injury that has plagued me since 2010..  It restricts my ability to run fast (and at times slowly).  So what to do?  I decided (after much anguished and tormented consideration of the pros and cons; and dire outcomes and possible rewards) to sign up for Comrades. My entry has been accepted.   All I have to do is run a qualifier.  A five hour marathon gets an entrant in the Comrades start field..  I would like to start in the "C" or even the "B" start group.  A 3:20 for the "B" and "C" sub 3:40 for the "C".  This may not seem too difficult for those who know my marathon times but please take into account my injury and that I am in remission with my prostate cancer.  I still have Prostate Specific Antigens (PSA) in my system when it should be undetectable.  Anyway,  my goal and the journey to the start line will be the main emphasis of my blogspot.  I'll try to just post my training with the occasional or hopefully weekly update.  To be honest (not PC), I am not a big fan of talking about oneself endlessly.   Indeed, in my gym I have a poster reminding me that doing is more important than talking oneself up.
So I am old school and a fair bit out of my comfort zone with this blogspot.  Having said that, I don't have problem with simply sharing ones achievements and letting others decide kudos. 

2 comments:

  1. You won't regret it one little bit Ronnie, it's the most special event in the world.

    Would love to see you get back to your high standard mate, you would give your AC win a good crack.

    Let me know if you need any tips for the travel, stay over there or course etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brendan. I must say that I was a bit gobsmacked to see a runner of your level commenting on my blog. When I told my wife, she said: "Really? WOW!" ( I had previously told her how you were the fastest Australian at Comrades in 2016, and the second fastest Australian ever just a bit behind Don Wallace. RE: my standard. I'll just see how things go and keep my expectation in line with my fitness level. Your blog about the "The Ultimate Human Race" should be helpful. Anyway, Thanks again. Cheers, Ronnie

      Delete