MAY 15 to 21. Well, I made it to taper time. Last year when I committed to Comrades I had just come out of a period where my back was so sore I thought that that was the finish of my competitive age-group running. I recall one night my back was so bad I couldn't get into bed. I just walked around the house until too exhausted to not lay down.
My expectations have changed since decideding to run Comrades. I have already explained why I made the choice in my earlier blogs.. One of the reasons was because the faster running causes my back so much grief. So...what to do? Run an ultra. Which one? Comrades seemed the most illogical choice. At heart Comrades: The Ultimate Race is a race that has all the ingredients that drew me into the sport in the first place, albeit in a more clubbish level. Arrh well...we'll see.
I must thank my physio Tim West. Tim has been a great help in getting me to taper time in the best possible condition, as far my musculoskeletal condition is concerned . It's pretty well up to me now to finish the task.
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=north%20west%20physiotherapy%20keperra
Back to my taper. Even though tapering, i still ran 160km this week. I'll go hardcore tapering/freshening next week and drop my distance to 60%.. This week I ran 8x 1000m reps in the bush instead of 8x1500m. I was able to push a bit harder too due to the reduced mileage and more rest. On Thursday 10x600m out at Nudgee to kick things along a bit more. And parkrun on Saturday. I was disappointed with my parkrun time. I felt flat, which was concerning. Sunday was cut back to 33km. The first half was over hills and finished with relatively flat 16km. Last 10km in 46:30 or so. So, icing done.
I wished I had a better idea of how to taper for an Ultra. My taper for CMA is pretty close to my marathon taper for Christchurch Marathon last year. The difference being I was in 17:30 5 Km shape, whereas this year i could only manage 19:30. Also, I have done a lot of quantity and not near as much quality for Comrades. Mind you, quantity often equates to quality if you know how to manage the process and match it to the event. Context provides more clarity in writing (and running).
A lot of the advice on ultra tapering is contradictory and confusing. For instance, ease off mileage but increase your pace. Run 400m reps in the last week to keep loose. Easing off mileage makes sense but sharpening and trying to lift shorter distance speed for an ultra? It's not a fast race but an endurance event. I don't know? It's most likely my understanding is not up to par. I just stayed with what i know, which is also seems contradictory considering what i just wrote about my first taper week. I am sure i will gain a lot more insight around Umlaas Rd😄😨.

No comments:
Post a Comment