Sunday, 12 February 2017

GOOD NEWS FROM COMRADES

January 30 to February 5. I have received confirmation that I have qualified for Comrades.  I will be eligible start in the "C" group.

Training has been going well. It is really too early to be doing too much.  I am just experimenting a bit.  I have already entered Orange Marathon so I will still show up.  I don't really see any advantage in trying for a "A" start but a "B" start might be helpful.  I am concerned that starting too close to the front could result in being dragged along at a faster pace than sensible for my old bones.  I have heard that two minutes banked at the start can cost more than ten minutes at the finish. 

Bruce Hargraves says that I am in with a chance for a Bill Rowan medal, which is 7:30 to 9 hrs.  I expect the 2017 medal will look much like the one pictured below.

2 comments:

  1. You're running so well Ron, but I think you are right about not pushing for that 'A'. Fordyce is keen on saying people shouldn't burn themselves out racing for times during the Comrades training period.
    I notice the number one over 60 guy ran 8:07 last year. Just saying...
    AP

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems from all I have read and heard that the first priority is to get to the start line in the best condition possible without injury or residual fatigue. Fordyce knows what he is talking about...that is for sure. Thanks A.P.

    ReplyDelete