I was surprised to see Brendan Davies and Wayne Spies run the Gold Coast Marathon. Both ran really well at Comrades, so they have recovered well. Having said that, I know both are capable of much faster times than they ran at GCM. It has been great checking out how everyone ran and I must say that there was some stand-out performances. Too many to mention here. I missed being amongst the action.
I missed the live streaming so I could do a reccie run out at Redcliffe. I knocked out 36+ ks at a reasonable training pace. The cool weather makes for comfortable running. The flat running allows for a showier pace than running the undulations around where I usually train. Of course, the cement surface is hard on the pins. Anyway, I started slow and finished with sub 4:30s. I forgot to start my watch after a pit stop but the Strava corrected to 37km while my watch recorded 36 km ??
I had a blood test for PSA level this week. I see the doctor mid next week. He'll be directing me to have a new PSMA Pet scan http://oncologynews.com.au/recurrence-of-prostate-cancer-detected-earlier-with-innovative-psma-ligand-petct/ to locate exactly where the tumours are hiding. The rising PSA levels indicate that there is is no doubt that there has been some micro-metastasis occurring. So all I can do is pencil in future races. Should be able to get a few in before further treatment. It's depressing and I get quite anxious about the whole situation. The uncertainty really makes planning races - anything - difficult and in some cases pointless. The thing is I feel fine. And I can't complain. I ran my first marathon 34 years ago and have had many wonderful experiences and met some absolutely awesome people. I will do my utmost to make the most of the cards I have been dealt.
| FIRST MARATHON: A different world back then. |
No comments:
Post a Comment